|Starts In||1-2 Hours|
|Last Long||8-10 Hours|
|Type||Narcolepsy, Sleep Apnea|
How It Works
Modvigil 100 mg contains an ingredient known as Modafinil that works by increasing dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. It works through the orexin system in the brain that is responsible for the regulation of sleep cycles. Furthermore, dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter that is known as the “feel-good” hormone. Dopamine affects our movement, memory, and focus. Thus, Modvigil 100 mg helps in staying focussed and keeping you awake by promoting wakefulness to the mind.
It is sometimes referred to as the ‘study drug’ as it is used by students, creative professionals, and business owners. This medicine is generally used by people working in late-night shifts, rotational shifts, early morning shifts, and people whose work requires high levels of concentration.
Modvigil 100 mg is prescribed for the treatment of the following problems:
- Narcolepsy – is a sleep disorder that causes excessive daytime sleepiness, hallucinations, and sleeps paralysis.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – is a sleep disorder that causes breathing to stop repeatedly for 10 seconds or more during sleep due to narrow or blocked airways.
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD) – is a sleep disorder that disturbs the biological cycle causing chronic sleep deprivation and insomnia in people working late-night shifts, rotational shifts, and early morning shifts.
A single tablet of Modvigil 100 mg is recommended to be taken in 24 hours. Do not consume more than one tablet in 24 hours. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully and read all the instructions mentioned on the pack of the drug.
- For patients suffering from Narcolepsy, a single tablet is taken daily in the morning, with or without meals, or as directed by your doctor.
- For patients suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea, this medicine is taken in the morning with or without food.
- For patients suffering from Shift Work Sleep Disorder, this medicine is taken 1-2 hours prior to the work shift. This helps the medicine to dissolve into the bloodstream completely by the time the work shift starts.
The effects of Modvigil 100 mg are known to last for a period of 8-10 hours. These may vary depending upon several things such as age, metabolism, lifestyles, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dosage: In case a dose is missed, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next dose, do not take an overdose to make up for the missed dose. Skip the dose and take your scheduled dose. If it’s your time to sleep, do not take the medication. Skip the dose and continue the next day.
Overdose: An overdose can worsen your condition and cause major side effects. Contact your doctor if such a case arises.
Before you take Modvigil 100 mg, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Modafinil or any other drugs.
- If you have a history of stroke, heart attack, or congestive heart failure.
- If you suffer from problems such as diabetes, hypertension, high blood cholesterol, etc.
- If you suffer from anxiety, depression, and mood-related disorders.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have a history of substance abuse.
- If you take sleeping pills.
Common side-effects of Modvigil 100 mg include:
- Stomach discomfort
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain
If you take any medications to treat your existing health condition or any other form of the drug, tell your doctor about them. Certain medications are known to affect the way Modvigil 100 mg works.
- Hormonal contraceptives or Birth control pills
- Oral antifungals such as ketoconazole
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol can increase the risk of experiencing side effects and impart negative effects on your health. Avoid consuming alcohol along with this medicine.
Modvigil 100 mg tablets should be stored properly and safely in their original packaging.
- Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from heat, light, and moisture.
- Do not consume the medicines past their expiration date.
- Once the pack is opened, store the tablets in an airtight container
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Modvigil used for?
Ans. Modvigil is a smart drug used for the treatment of sleep disorders (such as Narcolepsy, Shift Work Sleep Disorder, and Obstructive Sleep Apnea) in patients suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness. It promotes wakefulness by increasing dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain.
How much Modvigil should I take?
Ans. Modvigil 100 mg is the starting dose recommended for most patients suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness. A single tablet is usually recommended to be taken in 24 hours. You should not take more than 200 mg of Modvigil in 24 hours.
Can I take this medicine with alcohol?
Ans. Alcohol is known to increase the risk of experiencing side effects. Consumption of alcohol should be strictly avoided at all costs.
What are the side effects of Modvigil?
Ans. Some common side effects of Modvigil include headaches, nausea, anxiety, dizziness, and insomnia. If problems persist for long, contact your doctor.