|Type||Enlarged Prostate Or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)|
How does Silodosin work?
Silodosin Capsule is Enlargement of the prostate results in squeezing of the urethra thus resulting in problems with urination. Silodosin Capsule belongs to the category of alpha-1 blockers, which is an adrenoceptor antagonist and works specifically on the alpha-1 receptors in the prostate and bladder tissue. Silodosin capsule block these receptors which lead to the relaxation of the muscles in the bladder and prostate to ease the symptoms.
Uses of Silodosin Capsules
These oral use capsules are effective in the management of the below-listed symptoms of BPH when taken properly:
- Frequent and sudden urge to urinate.
- Nocturia – nighttime urination
- Decreased urine flow
- Strained urination
- Leakage after urination
- Feeling as if you cannot empty your bladder
This generic medication is available in two strengths of 4 milligrams and 8 milligrams and is a long-term treatment for the management of BPH-associated symptoms. The exact dosage will be decided by the doctor based on your age, type of symptoms and their severity, and any other ailments you may have.
- These capsules are recommended to be taken once every day with a meal.
- The dose must be taken around the same time every day for the most effective outcomes.
- Do not consume these tablets on an empty stomach, as it increases the likelihood of occurrence of side effects.
When you miss a dose, it is recommended to take it as soon as you remember. However, if you remember that it’s the time for your next dose, do not consume the missed dose and continue with the next dose. Do not consume two capsules to make up for the missed one, as it may result in serious side effects.
Overdosing with Silodosin capsules may result in lowering blood pressure. You may feel the following symptoms, especially when you stand up after lying down or sitting.
- Feeling lightheaded
- Losing consciousness
- Blurring of vision
Seek immediate medical assistance if you feel any of these symptoms.
Silodosin capsules may not be suitable for use in some health conditions. Talk to your doctor in case you suffer from the following disorders.
- You have any known allergies to Silodosin Capsule or any other ingredients in the capsules.
- Hypotension – as these Silodosin Capsule lower the blood pressure, unsupervised use may result in further lowering leading to serious health issues.
- Kidney disorders –Silodosin Capsule capsules are not administered in cases of severe kidney disorders, and low doses are advised for moderate kidney disease.
- Liver disease – as the liver is responsible for the metabolization of this drug, it is not administered in those who suffer from severe liver conditions.
- Conditions related to eyes – glaucoma or cataract.
- Any history of hypotension, cardiovascular disease, prostate cancer, take diuretics or consume a low-salt diet.
Note: As this medication may cause dizziness, do not drive or operate heavy machinery.
- This medication is not intended for use in women. There is no sufficient scientific evidence available to rule out the possibility of complications in the growing fetus inside the womb and a breastfeeding baby.
The mild side effects that are encountered with the use of the Silodosin capsules commonly are listed below. These side effects disappear on their own within a couple of days or weeks. However, if you feel they are worsening, or not going away, talk to your doctor for appropriate treatment.
- Stuffy nose
- Common cold
- Lowering of blood pressure when you stand up after lying down or sitting.
- Retrograde ejaculation
Interactions With Other Drugs
Some medications may react with other medications or some ingredients of the over-the-counter supplements which affects the way the medication will work. Silodosin capsules may interact with other prescription medications or supplements (some of them are listed below). Communicate to your doctor about all the medications, whether prescription or over-the-counter supplements, you may be taking to establish a safe method of administration.
Interaction with Alcohol
Alcohol causes drowsiness or dizziness, and Silodosin also has a side effect where you may feel dizzy. Therefore, alcohol and Silidosin are not a favorable combination. You should avoid the use of alcohol, or at least limit it to the minimum to avoid any adverse side effects.
Interaction with Grapefruit Juice
Grapefruit may increase the amount of Silodosin in the body, thus increasing the chances of adverse effects. Consult your physician to discuss if the grapefruit products may impact you in any way.
Silodosin capsules should be stored in a cool and dry place with a temperature not exceeding 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ensure that the tablets are stored away from a source of light.
- Store the capsules at a safe distance from the reach of children.
- After opening the pack, store it in an airtight container to protect it from moisture.
- Don’t consume the tablets past their expiry date, and dispose of them safely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What are Silodosin capsules used for?
The Silodosin capsules are used for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate in men. They work effectively to manage the symptoms like frequent and sudden urination, nocturia, painful urination, and other symptoms.
Q2. What is the recommended dosage of Silodosin?
Silodosin is available in two strengths of 4 milligrams and 8 milligrams. The exact dosage depends on your age, the symptoms you are experiencing and their severity, and also any other health condition you may have. Usually, the doctors prescribe lower strength of 4 mg to supervise how your body reacts to this medication. The commonly prescribed adult dosage (18 to 64 years) is 8 mg. A dose of 4 mg is advised for people above 64 years of age because the process of metabolization by the liver and removal of the residue by kidneys slows down with age, thus increasing the possibility of side effects.
Q3. What can I do if I’m not able to consume a capsule?
If you do not feel comfortable swallowing the capsule, you can open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on a spoon full of applesauce and consume it. Make sure that the applesauce is not hot, and you consume it within 5 minutes. Do not store any of this mixture for future use.
Q4. Are Silodosin capsules safe for consumption on an empty stomach?
When consumed on an empty stomach, the chances of occurrence of side effects get higher. Therefore, it is recommended to take the tablet orally with a meal.
Q5. What symptoms should I watch out for when using Silodosin capsules?
Contact your doctor for medical advice if you feel your blood pressure lowering, or develop any unusual symptom after the use of these capsules. Seek immediate help in case of an allergic reaction.
Q6. How long does it take for Silodosin to show improvement in the management of symptoms?
For the effective management of the symptoms of BPH, the Silodosin capsules are required to be taken every day around the same time. This treatment is for the long term, and you will start to see improvement in ease of urination. In case you do not feel any progress in symptoms, talk to your doctor.
Q7. Are there any dietary modifications that are required to be made when using Silodosin capsules?
Consult your doctor about the use of grapefruit and alcohol in your diet. Your doctor may advise you to reduce your fluid intake around evening timings, but there are no other dietary modifications required for the treatment with Silodosin.