|Active Ingredient||Cyproterone & Ethinyl Estradiol|
|Type||Birth Control & PCOS|
How does Ginette 35 work?
Ginette 35 is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an androgenic disorder, wherein high levels of male hormones are present in women. This results in an irregular menstrual cycle, acne, and excessive facial hair growth. The tablets work by keeping the androgen levels in check by adjusting their production. These medications have 2 mg of Cyproterone hormone with 0.035 mg of Ethinyl Estradiol. Cyproterone blocks the excess synthesis of androgen, the male hormone, in the ovaries. This results in the reduction of acne and unwanted facial hair. Ethinyl estradiol reduces the blood levels of androgens, thus enhancing the effects of Cyproterone. Altogether, they help in the effective treatment of the symptoms of PCOS.
Uses of Ginette 35
Tablets are effectively used for the prevention of pregnancy and the treatment of the following conditions as well:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- PCOS-related acne
- PCOS-related unwanted facial hair growth
- Irregular Periods
Dosage of Ginette 35
The pack of pills contains 21 tablets that are indicated for oral use at the same time every day, till your course of treatment continues. The tablets are suitable for consumption on an empty stomach as well.
- Start with the first pill on the first day of your menstruation cycle.
- Continue taking it at the same time every day for the most profitable results.
- Once you finish the 21 tablets of one pack, you are not required to consume any tablets for the 7 remaining days of the cycle.
- After 7 days, start with the new pack. Continue taking the tablets for the time as advised by the doctor.
Use After Delivery Or Abortion
The course of Ginette 35 tablets can be started after 21 days of vaginal delivery given that there were no complications encountered. However, if you are breastfeeding, your doctor may start you on alternative birth control pills.
- Ginette 35 is safe for immediate administration after first-trimester abortion.
If you miss one dose of Ginette 35 tablets, it is recommended to take it as soon as you remember. If you are nearing the time of the second dose, do not consume the tablet and continue with the course from the next day onward. If the missed dosage is not taken within the 12-hour window, the contraceptive effects of these tablets no longer offer protection. In such cases, it is advised to use a second contraceptive method for at least 7 days to prevent pregnancy.
Overdosing on medications may hamper your health and result in nausea, vomiting, or vaginal bleeding. If you have overdosed on Ginette 35, contact your doctor for assistance.
Before the use of Ginette 35 tablets, make sure you are not pregnant. Also, inform your doctor if you have the below-listed condition.
- Allergic reactions to Cyproterone or Ethinyl Estradiol or any other ingredient of the tablets.
- You are using any other hormonal treatment medications.
- You are breastfeeding.
- Any family or personal history of venous or arterial thrombosis.
- Have hypertension, diabetes mellitus, or migraine.
- Any present condition, or history of presence, of liver diseases, including cancer.
- Any presence, or history of presence, of breast, cervical, or ovarian cancer.
- Any present condition related to cardiovascular health, or any history of such an incident.
- Clinical Depression.
In case you develop any of the following symptoms after the use of these medications, stop using them and contact your doctor immediately.
- Increase in blood pressure
- Jaundice-like symptoms
- Symptoms of severe depression – mood swings, persistent feeling of sadness, suicidal thoughts.
- Sudden onset of severe pain in the upper abdomen.
- Frequently occurring headaches that are unusually severe, migraine headaches.
- Disturbances in vision or hearing.
- Symptoms of thrombosis or blood clots – swelling of legs, pain upon breathing and coughing, tightness, or pain in the chest.
Side Effects Of Ginette 35
The use of Ginette 35 results in the following common side effects seen in one in hundred women.
- Abdominal pain
- Increase in weight
- Mood swings
- Breast pain or tenderness
Most of these symptoms do not require medical attention and get better on their own over time. If the symptoms persist, seek immediate medical help.
Ginette 35 Interactions With Other Drugs
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any prescription or supplemental medications. These oral-use tablets are known to interact with the following medications:
Interaction with Alcohol
These medications may interact with alcohol to cause adverse health effects. Therefore, it is advised to not consume alcohol while you’re on the treatment.
Ginette 35 tablets should be stored in a cool and dry place in their original packaging.
- Keep the tablets out of reach of children.
- Do not consume expired tablets.
- Store the opened pack in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is Ginette 35 used for?
Ginette 35 is a combination medication that contains two hormones – Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol. These tablets act as contraceptives and are also effective treatment options for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and their symptoms like excessive facial hair growth, irregular periods, and acne.
Q2. When and how should the Ginette 35 tablets be taken?
The treatment with Ginette 35 should be started on the first day of your period. A single tablet is required to be consumed orally, with or without food, at the same time. The tablets are most effective when taken every day at the same time. The pack contains 21 pills, so after 21 days of one pill per day, you would have a gap of 7 days, and then start a new pack of 21 tablets.
Q3. What to do if I vomit after taking the Ginette 35 tablet?
If you vomit within three to four hours of consuming the Ginette 35 tablet, it would be considered a missed dose. You can take another tablet as soon as you feel okay.
Q4. Is it normal to experience vaginal bleeding when using this tablet?
When you start the Ginette 35 treatment, vaginal bleeding during the first 3 months is common and stops when your body adjusts to the medication.
Q5. Is Ginette 35 safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
Ginette 35 is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women. The medication is known to cause adverse effects in the growing fetus and can pass on to the baby through breast milk.
Q6. How long would it take for Ginette 35 to improve the symptoms?
Generally, the rehabilitation of symptoms is visible within 3-4 weeks of use. However, it is recommended that you follow your treatment duration as advised by the doctor.
Q7. What precautions should be taken while on these medications?
You should avoid smoking while you are on the course of treatment with Ginette 35, as smoking increases the chances of blood clots (thrombosis).
Q8. Do I need to use another contraception with Ginette 35 tablets?
No. tablets help in the prevention of pregnancy. However, in case you miss a dose, you should use additional protection such as a condom to avoid the chances of getting pregnant.
Q9. How long does it take for periods to regularize after starting Ginette 35?
If you do not get your period within a week of starting with this medication, it is recommended to consult your doctor before starting with the new pack.