Premature ejaculation (PE) is a sexual dysfunction condition commonly found in men. A man suffering from PE lacks control over the timing of ejaculation during sexual intercourse. No fixed time qualifies as premature but usually ejaculating during foreplay or the first minute of sex is considered to be lifelong PE. However, for acquired PE, this time is three minutes. This problem is so common that almost every fifth man will experience it some time in their life. It leads to issues like poor self-image, performance anxiety, depression, and a sense of guilt. In addition to these, it also leads to sexual dissatisfaction in both the man and his partner which can be harmful to a long-term relationship.How Effective are They
- What Causes Premature Ejaculation?
- How to Know if You are Suffering from PE?
- 4% Benzocaine Wipes for Premature Ejaculation
- Are Benzocaine Wipes Effective?
- Are the PE Wipes Safe?
- When to See a Doctor?
Mifegest 200 mg Tablet blocks the action of progesterone, a natural female hormone that maintains the pregnancy. The uterine lining breaks down Read More
What Causes Premature Ejaculation?
Although the exact causes for PE remain unknown, we do know some possible factors responsible for this condition.
- A change in one’s brain chemistry resulting in low levels of serotonin cause the ejaculation time to be shortened. This may happen because of any biological or psychological health problem. Hormonal imbalance and abnormal neurotransmitter levels are a few of the biological factors. Anxiety, guilt, and negative body image are some vital psychological factors.
- Erectile dysfunction, where a man fails to either get or maintain a firm erection during sexual activity is another main cause.
- Relationship issues are also a probable culprit, especially if one’s past sexual experiences were pleasant and satisfying.
- A physical condition like spinal cord-related problems, urethral/ prostate inflammation, and/or infection may also cause PE.
How to Know if You are Suffering from PE?
1. If you frequently feel a lack of control over your ejaculation or you ejaculate with little sexual stimulation.
2. The constant lack of control over ejaculation is making you sexually dissatisfied.
3. You feel guilty, embarrassed, and anxious about your sexual performance.
If one is diagnosed with the above symptoms, it shows that they’re suffering from PE. In many cases, these symptoms will go away on their own. Stress relief and psychotherapy are possible ways to solve the issue if it persists for some time. However, if it sustains for a long period, like more than a couple of months, you should talk to a health consultant.
4% Benzocaine Wipes for Premature Ejaculation
If you’ve been suffering from PE for some time and it’s negatively affecting you and your partner, you may want to use premature ejaculation wipes (aka penis wipes). The active ingredient of these wipes is a 4% solution of Benzocaine. It is a numbing drug (local anesthesia) used topically to decrease sensitivity. This drug is commonly used by dentists during oral surgeries. Desensitizing wipes have to be used like any other wet wipes, that is by gently rubbing one on the tip of the penis which is the most sensitive area. These numbing wipes come in a towelette form, discreetly-wrapped, containing the desensitizing agent. Disposable PE wipes are easily available for purchase over-the-counter. These wipes also go by the name male genital wipes or men wipes because of the area of application and gender it serves, respectively.
Normally, when the nerves are stimulated, sodium (Na) activates the nerve ends and transmits signals called ‘action potential’ to the central nervous system (CNS) of the brain. This is felt in the form of sensations. But this pathway is blocked when Benzocaine present in the wipe is applied to the head of the penis. Sodium fails to activate the nerve endings and hence, one does not feel any sensation (or very little sensation) even when the penis is rubbed. This helps in delaying the ejaculation, giving it the name delay wipes.
Some people have a question in mind- how does it feel to use these wipes? If you have used a topical numbing cream anywhere on your body before, you know how it feels. Even if you haven’t used any, there is nothing to worry about. It isn’t painful or uncomfortable in any way. It’s just that you would not feel anything in the area of application till the effect wears off.
Are Benzocaine Wipes Effective?
Yes, they are quite effective. Research conducted on men (with PE) who were given Benzocaine wipes and placebo wipes found that the group who used benzocaine wipes lasted much longer. The wipes helped the men of the former group last for more than 2 minutes (the mark for a typical PE case) just after a month of usage. After using them for 2 months, an increased ejaculation time of about 5 minutes was recorded. Not just this, the men who used them also reported improved control over ejaculation time, less distress, and more sexual satisfaction. On the other hand, those who used placebo wipes didn’t experience any improvement. Thus, it can be said that the PE wipes don’t just have a placebo effect but that they actually work.
Take care while applying the wipe to properly cover the tip of the penis because it is the usual target area for the drug. You may want to wipe the shaft of the penis as well because it will numb almost all the nerves present in the penis, thus making you last even longer. It also matters how long you usually lasted prior to using the desensitizing wipes. Say, if you usually last for only half a minute then don’t expect to last for 2 minutes after applying the wipe. You may last for a minute but not more than that. So, where you are starting also matters.How Effective are They
Are the PE Wipes Safe?
First, test if you are allergic to Benzocaine and only proceed if the result is negative. While these wipes are generally safer than the topical creams available in the market, rarely, users may experience some of the following side-effects:
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) – due to the lack of sensations in the penis
- Injuries or burns from rubbing and/or thrusting without feeling the friction
Like all drugs, Benzocaine can also have certain ill effects like-
- Tenderness around the area it’s applied to
- Irritation or itching
- Skin flaking
- Rashes or redness or a burning sensation
- Stinging sensation
In addition to the above-listed problems, Benzocaine can also lead to methemoglobinemia which is a blood condition that results in a lack of hemoglobin. Some prominent symptoms of this disease include bluish lips, nails, or skin, fatigue/ exhaustion because of lack of oxygen, headaches, and increased heart rate. This warning is mainly for children below two years of age but adults may be at some risk too. How Effective are They
When to See a Doctor?
If you feel that even after using desensitizing wipes for quite some time, your PE hasn’t got any better then you should see a doctor. There are several other medical and non-medical options available that can help you. Some of them are listed below.
- An increased intake of foods containing magnesium and zinc (like garlic, yogurt, pumpkin seeds, beef, oysters, dark chocolate, etc.) helps cure PE because they’re essential for good sexual health. How Effective are They
- The ‘squeeze technique’ where the head of the penis is squeezed just when the man is about to reach the climax is a commonly used behavioral therapy.
- Talking to a sex therapist can be of immense help because it will help with removing the possible emotional blocks.
- Kegel exercises are good to strengthen the pelvic muscles. It’s done by stopping and holding urine mid-way for about 3 seconds and then releasing for the same duration. Do this at least 30 times a day (10 times per session).
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) like Poxet 60 mg and Super P Force also help to delay ejaculation.
- Drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) like, sildenafil citrate and tadalafil can also be used for PE. abortion
If you are suffering from the problem of premature ejaculation, know that you are not alone. Benzocaine wipes are one of the ways to increase your ejaculation time. They’re largely safe and effective too. But you should make some other lifestyle changes along with it and a healthy diet is also required. Lastly, talk to a doctor if the problem persists. How Effective are They